The Authority has its own Maritime College in Mombasa where specialized training is available not only to its staff but to a much wider community.
The college – whose name means “seaport” in the Swahili language – was founded in 1980 to provide training courses for all members of staff,from dock workers to senior managers. Over the years,however,the college has opened its doors to a much wider community of students and has a national and even international reach.
Bandari College is a modern building located on Mombasa Island with a fine view of the Kilindini Channel.
The college is used to host regional and international conferences,courses,seminars and workshops.
KPA staff are offered courses in:
• Port operations
• Administration and management
For school leavers,the college offers a nine-month course to obtain a foundation certificate in maritime studies. This can be followed by a diploma course.
The college offers courses for drivers of tugmasters,crane/winch and fork-lift trucks which are always in demand from transport and warehousing operators.Special courses are also run in co-operation with other institutions including Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology and Kenya International Freight and Warehousing Association.Seafarers wishing to obtain an STCW certificate,as required by the International Maritime Organisation,are also catered for by Bandari College.
The college has a range of modern facilities which can be hired for conferences,seminars and workshops.
- Air conditioned auditorium with modern audio/video equipment and seating for 500 people.
- Air conditioned conference hall and committee room with seating for 30 and 40 people.
- Three laboratories with personal computers.
- Maritime library with some 11,000 books,magazines and periodicals.
- Student hostels with 60 single rooms and 10 suites,all air conditioned.
- Modern kitchen and dining hall with seating for 400 people.
- Large scenic garden overlooking the Kilindini Channel available for garden parties and other outdoor events.
- Fully equipped civil and marine engineering training workshops.